History - Home Sweet Home Museum
The owners of a post mill at the north end of town commissioned Nathaniel Dominy V to build a new smock mill with two pairs of millstones. The mill was built in 1806 and incorporated the main post of the 1736 Hook Mill. Nathaniel Dominy VII's "Register of Wind, Weather R Doings" documented the mill as being surprisingly active from I887 through I908 when it ceased operation.
The Village of East Hampton bought the mill and the lot in 1922 and restored the mill to working order in 1939. It operated seasonally into the 1950's The village made additional repairs in 1984-1985.